Odds and Ends

So I realize it’s been a while since I’ve blogged, but sometimes life just gets in the way.  Two months is kind of a long time though.

One major thing that occurred over the last couple of weeks is that my grandfather passed away. He was 92.  He lived a long life, saw a lot of things and has left a legacy in his children, grand children and great grand children..  All 50+ of them.   It was rather sudden, I mean, he was old, very thin and weak and I think we all knew it was close to his time, but he was doing ok for his age.  He had a heart attack on a Sunday evening and was gone the next morning.  Kris and Kat flew in and mom and dad drove in from IN.  Lots of cousins also flew in from the various locations and my aunt and uncle had to fly back from Italy.  He was a great man and will be sorely missed.

About a month ago now, Kota developed some lameness in his right hind leg.  At first, after a difficult workout, he would be lame for an evening but seem all better the next day. Then one Sunday, after open practice, he became lame and would not put weight on his leg.  He’d been fine after practice and I even watched him rough housing with Tasha later on.  But that evening he wouldn’t put weight on it unless he had to. He would hold it up going up and down steps. It was bad for the little guy. Worse thing was that it was still that way on Monday.  On Monday I made an appointment at the vet for him because he was still significantly lame.  The vet took xrays of his hips and rear right leg and the only thing showing up was a slight separation of his pelvis from the sacrum on the right side.  <sigh>  He has since been on no agility and no long walks restrictions.

That was the 27th of September, the day after my grandfather passed away. Kris flew in the 28th, the viewing was the 30th and the funeral was the 1st.  Kris got a stomach virus on Sunday the 3rd and flew back to Oregon the 5th and then on the 7th I headed to Pittsburgh, PA with my co-workers for our 41st annual conference.  Ugh what a whorlwind two weeks it’s been!!!

Today Kota seems much better. I still notice that when he is just standing still, he shifts more weight to his left hind leg, so I know he’s not 100% yet.  He doesn’t limp or hold his leg up anymore though. I took him and Tasha for walks at Karst Farm Park yesterday and today and so far he still seems good.

What this all boils down to is that I think I need to seriously retire the little guy from agility.  There is no reason to stress his hips and joints anymore, but this is such a sad thing for me to decide.  After him I have no more agility dogs.  Tasha has clearly told me that it’s not that much fun for her and no matter what I’ve tried, I can not transfer any value to agility for her.  She does it because I ask, not because she thinks its fun.

So I’ve decided that during Kota’s additional week of rest, that Tasha will be my running dog. We ran once around the path at Karst Farm Park today and then went back to the van for Kota for a long cool down walk.  The weather has cooled off quite a bit so leaving him in the van with windows cracked worked out just fine.

I need to seriously lose some weight.  My hips have grown in size such that two pairs of my pants from last winter do not fit well anymore.  I can’t keep growing and just buying new pants. I don’t want to carry the extra weight because it’s bad for my knees and my back.  So that is why I’m going to try to run more often. Tomorrow I intend to do the same thing, take the dogs to Karst and run first, then cool down walk with both.  I just need to quit eating all the sweets!!!!!

Today I cleaned up two coffee items from my counter to get ready to pack. The coffee grinder and the espresso machine. Once they dry out thoroughly I will pack them up for the big move. I have not used either of them in over a month, so I can survive another two months without them. Especially since it will make my counter look less cluttered for showings. I also swept out the brew side of the garage today. It needed it pretty badly.  Next weekend I figure I will need to clean up some leaves and then at some point I need to patch some holes in the walls in the house.  I’ve still got time though, so one thing at a time right?

So I mulched the front flower bed today as well and then gave Kota a bath. The poor little guy has been so itchy but it’s not fleas (I checked!) so it must be just dry skin. I used some shampoo from the vet’s office so hopefully that helps him out some. It’s been so dry here I’m not surprised that he would have dry skin and be itchy.

I took a bath after that and let me tell you that baths are so overrated in normal sized tubs.  I don’t fit well, I can’t put enough water in to cover my body and it’s just not worth it.  <sigh> If I ever get a chance to build or remodel a bathroom, I’m putting in a garden tub with jets. 😀

I have a feeling that I’m going to need a very large truck to move all our stuff.  🙁  I just can’t seem to get rid of enough stuff.